Thursday, October 24, 2013

F.A.K. First Aid Kit

When my husband started working with his therapist he advised him to create a first aid kit.  So my husband put together a box of mementos that he could hold and look at when he was struggling.  They were pictures and movie stubs and items that reminded him of good times and the things that are important to him.  Over time, I found I needed my own first aid kit.

This is it.

It's a little notebook that fits in my purse and I take it everywhere with me.

These are the entries:
*Contacts:  people I can call & their phone numbers *there are people who know about the addiction and people who don't. My therapist's number is there along with my massage therapist's number:)
*Angels - a list of people who were in my life at just the right time, people I know God put in my life to help me along in my journey
*Miracles - a list of events/people/places/programs I recognize as miracles in my life
*Smile - a list of things that make me smile
*Who I am - the things I am remembering and learning about me
*Goals - a list of goals/ bucket list
*Lessons - a list of the lessons I have learned and am learning along this journey
*Wisdom - quotes I love
*Illustrations - a few drawings by my kiddos
*Activities for me - a list of things I can do/like to do
*Activities for my kids - a list of quick and easy things I can do with them or easily arrange for them to do.

One of my biggest struggles through this journey has been depression.  When depression hits me it hits HARD and it sucks me into a dark place where I can't think and I don't want to carry on.  I can't think of things that make me smile.  I can't remember good things in my life.  I get overwhelmed thinking about how to entertain my kids and I forget that there are things I like to do.

So, I have this book, it's with me and it has reminders of people I can call and things I can do and memories that remind me that I do love life and want to live and that I am a unique and amazing person.

No comments:

Post a Comment